Thirteen U of T researchers named Fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
Thirteen University of Toronto researchers have been named Fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences (CAHS) in recognition of their leadership, creativity and commitment to advancing academic health sciences.
One of three national academies that make up the Council of Canadian Academies, the CAHS leverages the expertise of Canada’s leading health sciences researchers to evaluate Canada's most urgent and complex health challenges and recommend strategic, actionable solutions. To be named a CAHS Fellow is considered one of the highest distinctions for academics in the health sciences field in Canada.
“The University of Toronto congratulates these leading researchers on this important recognition of their work,” says Barbara Fallon, U of T’s associate vice-president, research. “This reaffirms what we saw in the recent Nature rankings, which placed U of T second in the world among health sciences research universities, and the recent NTU rankings, which placed U of T second among the world’s top research universities in the category of medicine.
“Across disciplines, fuelled by the collaboration between the 14 research hospitals in the Toronto Academic Health Science Network (TAHSN), these researchers are making discoveries and advancements that have a real impact on the some of the most complex health challenges facing Canadians.”
The new Fellows are:
- Evdokia Anagnostou, Holland Bloorview Kids Rehabilitation Hospital and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Paediatrics)
- Ahmed Bayoumi, Unity Health and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Medicine)
- Patricia Brubaker, Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Physiology)
- Leah Cowen, Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Molecular Genetics)
- Neeru Gupta, Unity Health and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Opthalmology & Vision Sciences)
- Mojgan Hodaie, University Health Network (UHN) and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Surgery)
- John Kingdom, Sinai Health and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Obstetrics & Gynaecology)
- Cheryl Regehr, Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work
- Catherine Sabiston, Faculty of Kinesiology & Physical Education
- Samir Sinha, Sinai Health and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Medicine)
- Lillian Siu, UHN and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Medicine)
- Yu Sun, Faculty of Applied Science & Engineering (Mechanical and Industrial Engineering)
- Michael Tymianski, UHN and Temerty Faculty of Medicine (Surgery)