Nine U of T researchers named fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences
Nine University of Toronto researchers have been named fellows of the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences in recognition of their “vision, innovation and sustained excellence.”
One of three national academies that make up the Council of Canadian Academies, the Canadian Academy of Health Sciences leverages the expertise of Canada’s leading health sciences researchers to examine the most pressing and complex health challenges of the day, share assessments and recommend actionable solutions.
“This honour is one of the highest distinctions for academics in the health sciences field and the University of Toronto congratulates these faculty members on this important recognition of their research accomplishments, scientific leadership and creativity – and their contributions to the public good,” said University Professor Ted Sargent, vice-president research and innovation, and strategic initiatives.
“It’s also a testament to the vital importance of our hospital and health-system partners who help make those contributions possible.”
The new fellows are:
- David Chitayat, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and head of the prenatal diagnosis and medical genetics program, Mount Sinai Hospital
- Dafna Gladman, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and senior scientist, Krembil Research Institute, Toronto Western Hospital
- Katherine S. McGilton, associate professor in the Lawrence S. Bloomberg Faculty of Nursing and senior scientist, Toronto Rehabilitation Institute-University Health Network
- Heyu Ni, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and senior scientist and platform director, Canadian Blood Services Centre for Innovation at St. Michael’s Hospital
- Ravi Retnakaran, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and clinician-scientist, Mount Sinai Hospital, Leadership Sinai Centre for Diabetes
- Norman Rosenblum, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and senior scientist, The Hospital for Sick Children
- Janet Smylie, professor in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health, Research Chair, St. Michael’s Hospital and staff physician, Unity Health Toronto
- Ross Upshur, professor in the Dalla Lana School of Public Health and associate director, Lunenfeld Tanenbaum Research Institute, Sinai Health
- Lu-Yang Wang, professor in the Temerty Faculty of Medicine and senior scientist, The Hospital For Sick Children Research Institute
“Your induction is a reflection of your vision, innovation and sustained excellence in your field,” said Dr. Proton Rahman, the chair of the CAHS fellowship committee. “Undoubtedly, your expertise will further enrich our Academy.”