Information about masks
Non-medical masks or face coverings must be worn indoors in all common-use spaces on University of Toronto property.
In May 2020, based on the public health guidance available at that time, the University of Toronto started offering branded, two-layer non-medical masks to all students, faculty members, staff members and librarians for personal use. Although the Public Health Agency of Canada suggested in November 2020 that non-medical masks have three layers to provide added protection, the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada and Public Health Ontario also clarified that existing two-layer masks can still be used and do not need to be discarded if they are well maintained and well fitting. The University of Toronto two-layer masks are still available for pick-up, if you wish.
You may choose to add a third layer to any two-layer mask for added protection. Please see Toronto Public Health’s guidelines for the use of face masks for instructions. Only wear the University of Toronto mask if it covers your nose, mouth and chin without gaping, allows you to breathe easily, fits securely to your head and fits comfortably to avoid frequent adjustments. Use a different mask if the University of Toronto mask does not fit you properly or is not comfortable for you.
If wearing a mask or face covering while working with hazardous material when conducting required onsite activities (e.g. biological agents, flammable chemicals, radioactive agents), please speak to your supervisor/Principle Investigator about appropriate and safe use of face coverings and masks.
Distribution of masks is ongoing in the following locations
Please note: You do not need to arrange a special visit to campus to pick up your masks. One pair has been assigned to you and will be available whenever you return to campus.
Staff and students, please visit one of the following locations to obtain your masks. Check back regularly for the most up-to-date list of pick up locations.
ST. GEORGE CAMPUS
- New College – library (all students)
- Innis College – Residence Front Desk at 111 St. George St. (Innis College students only)
- Trinity College – Welcome Desk, 6 Hoskin Ave. (Trinity students, faculty, and staff only)
- 89 Chestnut St. – main desk (for resident students only)
- Victoria College – Residence Services Desk, 140 Charles St. W. (Victoria University students only)
- University College: Morrison Hall Desk, 75 St. George St. (University College students, faculty and staff only)
- Robarts Library (all students and staff)
- Gerstein Science Information Centre (all students and staff)
- U of T Bookstore – 214 College St., 1st floor, stationery department cash registers (next to Canada Post counter).
Please enter through SW doors on College St. (all students and staff)
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO MISSISSAUGA
Masks are available for distribution at several locations across the campus.
- Facilities Management & Planning, room 2220 2nd floor Maanjiwe nendamowinan
- Service Desk Atrium, CCT building
- Registrar’s Office, main floor, Kaneff Building
UNIVERSITY OF TORONTO SCARBOROUGH
- Residence Office – Residence Centre (available to all students not just residence students)
- Health and Wellness
- Chem Stores
For faculty, staff, and librarians
Mask distribution for faculty, staff and librarians has been arranged at the divisional level. Your CAO or department head has sent information on how to obtain your masks.
More information on masks and the University’s Policy on Non-Medical Masks and Face Coverings can be found in our FAQs.