Collective Bargaining Information Source
Keeping you informed about collective bargaining at U of T
As one of the world’s top-ranked universities and one of the largest employers in the Greater Toronto Area, U of T places the highest priority possible on creating an environment where our students, faculty and staff can thrive and contribute.
A key component of this priority is maintaining strong relationships with U of T’s 29 employee groups.
More than 20,000 of U of T’s employees are represented by 11 different unions and covered by 23 separate collective agreements. This website has been created to keep you informed about collective bargaining and related activities. It will be updated regularly.
What's Happening Now
Last Updated: January 11, 2017
- CUPE 3902 Unit 1
- CUPE 3902 Unit 1 represents approximately 6,000 employees, mainly graduate students, working as teaching assistants, teaching laboratory assistants, markers, graders and instructors.
- As of January 11, the University and Union have met 16 times.
- Union strike vote was held December 5 – 12 on all three campuses.
- Strike mandate approved by the majority of employees who voted.
- Negotiations ongoing.
- Collective Agreement expired December 31, 2017.
Collective Agreements Reached
Renewal collective agreements reached and ratified in 2017:
- CUPE Local 1230: full- and part-time library workers employed in the University’s central library system
- CUPE Local 1230, Student Casual: student casual library workers employed in the University’s central library system
- CUPE Local 2484: daycare workers and support staff
- CUPE Local 3261: full- and regular part-time service workers, including caretakers, grounds staff, drivers, laboratory animal technicians and athletic attendants
- CUPE Local 3261, Casual: casual service workers on all three campuses
- CUPE Local 3902 Unit 3: sessional instructors
- CUPE Local 3902 Unit 5: postdoctoral fellows
- IBEW Local 353: machinists
- OPSEU Local 578: research officers and associates at OISE
- USW Local 1998 Staff Appointed: full- and part-time administrative and technical staff
- USW Local 1998 Casual: casual administrative and technical staff on all three campuses
Last Updated : December 14, 2017
- OPSEU 519 Campus Police (expired June 30, 2017)
2018 Expiry dates of Collective Agreements
- Jan. 31, 2018 UNITE HERE, Local 75 Hospitality workers at 89 Chestnut
- Apr. 30, 2018 Carpenters and Allied Workers, Local 27
- Apr. 30, 2018 Unifor, Local 2003 Stationary Engineers, Building Management Systems Technicians, and Building Engineers
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Electricians
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Locksmiths
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Machinists
- April 30, 2018 Sheet Metal Workers Local 30
- May 31, 2018 UA Local 46 Plumbers
- Aug. 31, 2018 CUPE 3907 Graduate Assistants at OISE