Collective Bargaining Information Source
Keeping you informed about collective bargaining at U of T
As one of the world’s top-ranked universities and one of the largest employers in the Greater Toronto Area, U of T places the highest priority possible on creating an environment where our students, faculty and staff can thrive and contribute.
A key component of this priority is maintaining strong relationships with U of T’s 29 employee groups.
More than 20,000 of U of T’s employees are represented by 11 different unions and covered by 23 separate collective agreements. This website has been created to keep you informed about collective bargaining and related activities. It will be updated regularly.
What's Happening Now
Last updated: February 17, 2018
The University is very pleased to announce that the tentative agreement reached on February 8, 2018, between the University and CUPE 3902 Unit 1 has now been ratified. The Memorandum of Agreement will be posted imminently under Agreements on the Human Resources & Equity website. The University would like to thank everyone on the bargaining teams for their effort, dedication and commitment throughout these negotiations.
February 12, 2018
The University is pleased that the tentative agreement reached by the University and CUPE 3902 Unit 1 passed at the Union’s ascension meeting yesterday and will proceed to bargaining unit wide ratification. Polls will be open on all three campuses until February 16 inclusive. The University encourages all Unit 1 employees to vote.
February 9, 2018
The University and CUPE 3902 Unit 1 reached a tentative agreement last night with the assistance of a provincially appointed conciliator. The Union has scheduled an ascension meeting for Monday, February 12th at 6:30 p.m. in Convocation Hall to present the tentative agreement to Unit 1 employees and determine whether it will proceed to a bargaining unit-wide vote for ratification. The University encourages all Unit 1 employees to attend the ascension meeting and participate in the process.
January 26, 2018
- CUPE 3902 Unit 1: CUPE 3902 Unit 1 represents approximately 7,000 employees, mainly graduate students, working as teaching assistants, teaching laboratory assistants, markers, graders and instructors. The Collective Agreement between the University and CUPE 3902 Unit 1 expired December 31, 2017.
- At a January 22 CUPE 3902 Unit 1 membership meeting, those in attendance voted to set a strike deadline of February 26, 2018. The University and the Union are continuing their efforts toward reaching a tentative agreement. Ongoing bargaining meetings are scheduled for January 29th and 31st. Conciliation at the Ministry of Labour with a government-appointed conciliator will continue on February 7th.
- The parties jointly filed for conciliation and jointly requested the appointment of a conciliation officer with the most experience to assist the University and the Union.
Collective Agreements Reached
Renewal collective agreements reached and ratified in 2017:
- CUPE Local 1230: full- and part-time library workers employed in the University’s central library system
- CUPE Local 1230, Student Casual: student casual library workers employed in the University’s central library system
- CUPE Local 2484: daycare workers and support staff
- CUPE Local 3261: full- and regular part-time service workers, including caretakers, grounds staff, drivers, laboratory animal technicians and athletic attendants
- CUPE Local 3261, Casual: casual service workers on all three campuses
- CUPE Local 3902 Unit 3: sessional instructors
- CUPE Local 3902 Unit 5: postdoctoral fellows
- IBEW Local 353: machinists
- OPSEU Local 578: research officers and associates at OISE
- USW Local 1998 Staff Appointed: full- and part-time administrative and technical staff
- USW Local 1998 Casual: casual administrative and technical staff on all three campuses
Last Updated : December 14, 2017
- OPSEU 519 Campus Police (expired June 30, 2017)
2018 Expiry dates of Collective Agreements
- Jan. 31, 2018 UNITE HERE, Local 75 Hospitality workers at 89 Chestnut
- Apr. 30, 2018 Carpenters and Allied Workers, Local 27
- Apr. 30, 2018 Unifor, Local 2003 Stationary Engineers, Building Management Systems Technicians, and Building Engineers
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Electricians
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Locksmiths
- April 30, 2018 IBEW Local 353 Machinists
- April 30, 2018 Sheet Metal Workers Local 30
- May 31, 2018 UA Local 46 Plumbers
- Aug. 31, 2018 CUPE 3907 Graduate Assistants at OISE