9/30/05 Society for Utopian Studies Conference Schedule
1:30 Utopian Studies meeting
2:30 Steering Committee meeting
Group A. Panel: Utopian Settlements and the Periodical
Press in the 19th Century
- Susan Brorson & Sharon Neet "Isaac
Broome's Two Histories of Ruskin Colony"
- Will Womack"`Out of the World's Wide Wilderness':
Baptist Periodicals and the Utopian
Model of Mission Settlement in Burma"
Group B. 20th Century Dystopias
- Olivia Burgess “Beyond Perfection: Nathaniel Hawthorne,
Vladimir Nabokov, and the Twentieth
Century Dystopian Literary Tradition”
- Dwight Kiel "Empire, Dystopia and Vision:
Misplaced Hostility and Misplaced Compassion in Coetzee's Waiting
for the Barbarians"
- C. Roberts "An Alienated Utopia: Sociality and Tradition
in Kafka's `The Burrow'"
Group A. Literary Utopias
- Damon Franke "Teaching the Utopian Unconscious in a Historical
Survey [Lit] Course"
- Rebecca Totaro "Sleeping Through The Night in Early English
- Michelle McMillen "The Portrayal of Women in William Baldwin's Beware
Group B. Utopias Ancient, Present, and Future
- Claire Curtis "...And I feel fine: Utopia and
Dystopia at End of the World"
- Mark Jendrysik "The Snake in the Garden: Violence, Crime
and Punishment in Utopian Thought"
- Nathan Stormer "Looking into the Self: The Sublime Hetertopia
of Fetal Images"
Group C. French Utopias
- John Barberet "Delay, Digression and Departure in
Utopian Narratives: The Case of St-Pierre's Paul
- Antoine Kreiger
"Houellebecq's Elementary Particles: Utopia or Anti-utopia?"
- Peter Stillman [Diderot's Supplement au Voyage de Bourganville] wait
Group A. Work and Utopia
- Edward Granter "The End of Work: Critical Social Theory,
Utopian Vision, or Both?"
- Peter Sands "A Year in Law School; or, A Humanities
Professor Travels to a Strange Land and Learns
Something of its People, Their Customs, Manners, &c"
- Jonathan Paquette
"Reclaiming the Aesthetic Experience: Organizational Aesthetics
and Critical Management
Group B. H. G. Wells and Samuel Butler
- Kevin Swafford
"Beautiful Machines, Beautiful Beings: Aesthetics, Technology,
in H.G. Wells’ A Modern Utopia"
- Melissa McCrory "The Color Red, Marxism, and The War
of the Worlds"
- Elena Ilina "Revisiting Erewhon: Solicitings of
Unborn Genre in Samuel Butler's Dystopia"
Group C: Utopian Art
- Marilda Lopes Pinheiro Queluz
"The Brazilian Neoconcretism as a Face of Utopian Art"
- Charles Nuckolls "The Perfect World in Japanese Nationalist
- Monica Farkas [about Raimundo Lilio's Ars] I e-mailed
Group A: Responsibility for the Future
- Sonja Fritzsche "East Germany's Werkstatt Zukunft:
Futurology and the Science Fiction Films of defa-futurum"
- Gilbert Fulmer "Should Utopians Assist Evolution?"
- Fred Nadis
"Environmental Utopianism at Expo 2005 Aichi Japan"
Group B. Utopian Social Theory
- C. Lynne Fulmer
"Hobbes' Leviathan: Utopia out of Science"
- Monika Nenon "Lessing's Dialogues on Freemasonry: The
Utopia of Friendship"
- Michael Jackson"Every Man is a Friend to Every Man: The
Utopian Vision within Leviathan"
Group C: Utopian Community
- Jacobs, Naomi "The Utopian 'We' in Feminist Poetry"
- Carson, Benjamin
"Spaces of Hope in Octavia Butler's Parable of the Sower and
Ana Castillo's So
Far From God
- Kaiser, Pamela "Utopia as Progress and the Works of Octavia
Group A: Susan Sontag's Utopian Vision: In Memoriam,
- Barbara Ching "Eruption and Collections: Utopic
Space in Susan Sontag's The Volcano Lover"
- Julia Walker "Sontag on Theatre"
Moderator and Respondent: Jennifer Wagner-Lawlor
Group B: Critiquing History
- Reginald Martin
"Dystopia in the Post-1960's South: Black Males and the
Failure of Integrative Educational
- Tyson Lewis "Mapping Exceptional Spaces: From Frederic
Jameson's Utopian Praxis to Giorgio Agamben's
Theory of the Concentration Camp"
- Kathi Weeks "The Politics of Anti-Utopianism"
Group C. Utopian/Dystopian Chaos
- Barry Vacker "Fractal Utopias? Chaos Theory and Network
- Seth Abelson "Arm of Indecision: Comparative View of Dystopia
in Motion and Stasis"
- Josef Mahoney "A Close reading of Marx and Engels'
Pejorative Conceptualizations of Utopia"
Group A. Utopia and the Green World
- Analisa DeGrave "Utopia and Nature in the Poetry
of Ernesto Cardenal"
- Jennifer Atkinson
"Seeds of Change: Gardening and the Utopian in the Contemporary
- Lynn Walford
"Meditations on Utopia in Mario Vargas Llosa's The Way
Group B. Edward Bellamy's Utopian Legacy
- Justin Nordstrom "The Sincerest Form of Flattery: Responding
to Bellamy in Gilded Age America"
- Gib Prettyman “The Business of Utopian Writing
in the Gilded Age”
- Angela Warfield
"Bellamy's Utopic Dreams: Ironic Impossibility in Looking
moderator and commentator: Toby Widdicombe
Group C: Divergence among Allies: Utopianism, Feminism,
and Spirituality in Star Wars III: The
Revenge of the Sith"
Elyce Rae Helford and Andy Smith
Group A. Teaching Utopias: An Interdisciplinary
- Joan Roland "`I Had Expected to Meet the Amish': Integrating
Field Trips into the Course"
- Bill Seivert "Teaching Utopia"
- Erin Flaherty "Music in American Intentional Communities"
moderator: Joan Roland
Group B. Literary Utopias
- Nat Hardy "Puritanical Soft Porn or Sexual
Utopianism?: Postlapsarian Eroticism in Henry Neville's The
Isle of Pines"
- John O'Connor "From Sore Throats to Greenland:
Howard Brenton's Utopian Plays"
- Ulrich Bach "The Otherness of Colonial Space: Theodor
Hertzka's Freeland (1890)"
Group C. 19th Century Literary Utopias
- Alex MacDonald "The Individual and Society in Some
Later Victorian Utopias"
- Daniel Sipe "Mallarme and the Technologies of Literature"
- Csaba Toth "Ignatius Donnelly's `Minor' Utopias: The
Golden Bottle and The American People's Money"
Short Break 10:00- 10:20
Group A. Encounters Between Cultures
- Kenneth Roemer "Utopia Goes Native, Native Goes Utopian:
The Cross Cultural Visions of Silko
and Le Guin"
- Juan Carlos Grijalva
"Utopia as a Zone of Cultural Contact: The Inca Utopianism
of Jose Carlos Mariategui
- Gilson Leandro Queluz
"National Crisis, Utopian Solutions: The novel `Cummunka'
by Menotti del
Group B. Utopia and Religion
- Toby Widdicombe
"Tolkien's Critique of Utopianism"
- Corina Kesler "Time and Space Practices: From Narrative
Utopia to Religious Uchronia (the Ritual
- Tammy Smithers
"Michelangelo's Lifelong Quest"
Group C. Utopia ManquJ
- Stephen Tabachnick "The Failure of Utopian Aspirations
in Alan Moore's Graphic Novel Watchmen"
- Alex Shishin "Sinclair Lewis' It Can't Happen Here:
Dystopia and the Middle Class Revolutionary"
- Gregor Ohlerich
"Practicing the Upright Walk: Utopian Concepts in the Literature
of the Early GDR"
Saturday 12:00-1:30 Lunch and Business Meeting
Plenary Session -- Fred Evans
Group A: Present day Utopian Plans and Schemes
- Kerry Koitzsch and Jedari Sarvnaz "Utopian Technology,
Health Care, & Social Planning: A Case Study"
- Seungkoo Jo "Utopia and Suburbia"
- Yvonne Pelletier "Fluid Properties: New Eden and
Group B. Urban/Suburban Life
- Young Hee Shin "The Relationship Between the Unconscious
Organizing Principles and Commercial
- Brian Greenspan "Anarchy in the Archives: Notes from the
Ruins of Melbourne"
- Barry Vacker "Notes for New Orleans"
Group C. "Engaging Politically: The Utopias
of Octavia Butler and Toni Morrison"
- Claire Curtis "Engage or Withdraw? Toni Morrison's Paradise and
Octavia Butler's Parable Series"
- Peter Stillman "`To Lead But Not to Rule': Individual
Empowerment and Effective Communities
in Morrison's Paradise and Butler's Parables.
- M. Doretta Cornell
"Communities of Intention and Serendipity in Morrison's Paradise and Love"
moderator and respondent: Carol Kolmerten
Saturday 5:30-7:00 Roundtable on Frederic Jameson's
Archaeologies of the Future
Fitting, Eric Cazdyn, and Phil Wegner
Group A: The Media and Utopia
- Luigi Manca "The Role of Gender in Magazine Advertising's
Portrayal of the Twenty-Something Utopia"
- Douglas Texter "A Funny Thing Happened on the Way
to Dystopia: The Culture Industry's Neutralization
of Stephen King's The Running Man"
- June Deery "The American Dream `As Seen On TV'"
Group B: Utopian Bodies
- Jennifer Wagner_Lawlor"`In Praise of Love': Locating the
Body in the Utopic Spaces of the Novels
- Catherine Gimelli Martin
"The Phaiakia of the Future: Francis Bacon's New Atlantis"
- Dina Smith "History as Fabrication: The Flashback
Group C. 19th Century Utopias, Real and Imaginary
- James Hewitson "George Ripley, Brook Farm, and the Fate
- Jennifer Jones "George Eliot's Sympathetic Utopian
- Robert Nauman "Port Sunlight, Progress Magazine
and the Utopian Vision of W. H. Lever"