Common Questions About Courses at the University of Toronto

1) What are the different levels of study?

At the University of Toronto, there are two levels of study:

Undergraduate-level (Bachelors degree)
These courses usually have a course code with a number in the hundreds:
100-level** = first year of undergraduate degree (for example, GGR124Y)
200-level = second year (for example POL208Y)
300-level = third year (for example, CHM325H)
400-level = fourth year (for example, PHL440H)
500-level = fifth year (for example, MIE515H)
Most undergraduate degrees are four years long, but some have 500-level courses to indicate the very challenging nature of those courses.
**please note that some 100-level courses are not open to exchange students because they are intended only for first-year university students (for example, VIC100-level courses).

Graduate-level (Masters degree, PhD)
These courses usually have a course code with a number in the thousands:
1000-level = introductory graduate-level (for example, ECO1011H)
2000-level = specialized graduate-level (for example, PHY2303H)
3000-level = advanced graduate-level (for example, STA3431H)
4000, 5000, and 6000-level = highest level graduate courses

2) What is the credit value of each course?

The relative value of each UofT course is based on its credit value, as opposed to the number of teaching hours per week for example. The credit value of each UofT course is indicated by the letter in the course code which immediately follows the number/level indicator:
"Y" courses are worth 1.0 credits
"H" courses are worth 0.5 credits

The section code is indicated at the very end of the course code (the last letter), and indicates the academic semester that a course is being offered. The regular academic year is divided into two semesters/terms , each consisting of 13 weeks of classes:
F = First Term (September to December)
S = Second Term (January to April)
Y = Full Year (September to April)

For example:
ANT100Y1 Y = 1.0 credit course offered September to April
HIS2322H1 F = 0.5 credit course offered September to December
PHY110Y1 S = 1.0 credit course offered January to April

Students coming for the full academic year can enroll in a combination of year-long and half-year courses. You may only select courses that are offered during the term(s) that you will be in Toronto. If you are only coming for one term, you may NOT select Y courses.

3) What is the recommended work load for exchange students?

The maximum permitted work load for undergraduate-level students is five courses per academic term. The minimum work load to be considered a "full-time student" is three courses for undergraduate students.

For graduate-level students, the maximum work load is four courses per academic term, but this can vary from one academic program to another and therefore exchange students should seek advice from their host department at the time of course enrolment.