- ABOUT US
David J.A. Jenkins, M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc.
Canada Research Chair in Nutrition and Metabolism
Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Department of Nutritional Sciences
- Director, Risk Factor Modification Centre, St. Michael's Hospital
- M.D., Ph.D., D.Sc.
- 2000 Canada Research Chair in Metabolism and Nutrition
(Federal Scientific Recognition Program)
- 2003 Elected Fellow, Royal Society of Canada.
- 2007 Benjamin Spock Award for Compassion in Medicine;
Physicians Committee for Responsible Medicine
- 2008 Elected Fellow, American Society of Nutrition
- 2009 Elected University Professor, University of Toronto, June 2009.
- 2010 Khush Jeejeebhoy Award of the Canadian Nutrition Society for Best Application of Clinical Nutrition Reaseach Findings to Clinical Practice, June 2010
- 2010 Elected Master of the American College of Nutrition, Oct 2010
- 2011 W. T. Aikins Award for Excellence in Undergraduate Teaching in Medicine,
University of Toronto, April 2011
- The College of Physicians and Surgeons of Ontario
- Royal College of Physicians, London, UK
- The ultimate goal of our research team is to elucidate the potential of diet
to prevent and treat chronic diseases; primarily heart disease, cancer and diabetes.
Our research is clinically based. Dietary trials allow us to also assess
mechanisms in vivo by which diet and/or its components alter risk for disease.
We have spent considerable time assessing the glycemic index of foods, and have
identified legumes and traditional methods of processing as producing a low
glycemic index (eg. white pasta - low vs. white bread - high) We have and
continue to carry out research on vegetable proteins and their potential health
benefits eg. soy, gluten, and other cereal and vegan proteins. Most recently we
have started to combine foods with cholesterol lowering actions (soy, viscous
fibers, oats, barley, plant sterols and nuts - almonds) in a single diet to
lower serum cholesterol.
We have demonstrated that early statin-like effects can be achieved under highly controlled conditions. In the real world this dietary approach has a somewhat dampened level of efficacy, but remains a highly effective dietary approach to cholesterol reduction. We continue to carry out studies on low glycemic index diets, and the quest to find new low glycemic index foods continues. We also work in collaboration with the food industry on a diverse spectrum of food products and food components ranging from macronutrients to phytochemicals.
- Laura Chiavaroli
- Arash Mirrahimi
- Vannesa Ha
- Jenkins DJA, Jones PJ, Lamarche B, Kendall CW, Faulkner D, Cermakova L, Gigleux I, Ramprasath V, de Souza R, Ireland C, Patel D, Srichaikul K, Abdulnour S, Bashyam B, Collier C, Hoshizaki S, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW, Frohlich J. Effect of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods given at 2 levels of intensity of dietary advice on serum lipids in hyperlipidemia: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2011 Aug 24;306(8):831-9.
- Jenkins DJA, Srichaikul K, Mirrahimi A, Chiavaroli L, Kendall CW. Functional foods to increase the efficacy of diet in lowering serum cholesterol. Can J Cardiol. 2011 Jul-Aug;27(4):397-400
- Jenkins DJA, Kendall CW, Banach MS, Srichaikul K, Vidgen E, Mitchell S, Parker T, Nishi S, Bashyam B, de Souza R, Ireland C, Josse RG Nuts as a replacement for carbohydrates in the diabetic diet. Diabetes Care. 2011 Aug;34(8):1706-11. Epub 2011 Jun 29.
- Jenkins DJA, Chiavaroli L, Wong JM, Kendall C, Lewis GF, Vidgen E, Connelly PW, Leiter LA, Josse RG, Lamarche B. Adding monounsaturated fatty acids to a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods in hypercholesterolemia. CMAJ. 2010 Dec 14;182(18):1961-7. Epub 2010 Nov 1.
- Jenkins DJA, Srichaikul K, Kendall CW, Sievenpiper JL, Abdulnour S, Mirrahimi A, Meneses C, Nishi S, He X, Lee S, So YT, Esfahani A, Mitchell S, Parker TL, Vidgen E, Josse RG, Leiter LA. The relation of low glycaemic index fruit consumption to glycaemic control and risk factors for coronary heart disease in type 2 diabetes. Diabetologia. 2011 Feb;54(2):271-9. Epub 2010 Oct 27.
- Jenkins DJA, Mirrahimi A, Srichaikul K, Berryman CE, Wang L, Carleton A, Abdulnour S, Sievenpiper JL, Kendall CW, Kris-Etherton PM. Soy protein reduces serum cholesterol by both intrinsic and food displacement mechanisms. J Nutr. 2010 Dec;140(12):2302S-2311S. Epub 2010 Oct 13.
- Jenkins DJA, Srichaikul K, Wong JM, Kendall CW, Bashyam B, Vidgen E, Lamarche B, Rao AV, Jones PJ, Josse RG, Jackson CJ, Ng V, Leong T, Leiter LA. Supplemental barley protein and casein similarly affect serum lipids in hypercholesterolemic women and men. J Nutr. 2010 Sep;140(9):1633-7. Epub 2010 Jul 28.
- Jenkins, DJA. Wong JM, Kendall CW, Esfahani A, Ng VW, Leong TC, Faulkner DA, Vidgen E, Greaves KA, Paul G, Singer W. The effect of a plant-based low-carbohydrate ("Eco-Atkins") diet on body weight and blood lipid concentrations in hyperlipidemic subjects. Arch Intern Med. 2009 Jun 8;169(11):1046-54.
- Jenkins, DJA. Sievenpiper JL, Pauly D, Sumaila UR, Kendall CW, Mowat FM. Are dietary recommendations for the use of fish oils sustainable? CMAJ. 2009 Mar 17;180(6):633-7.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, McKeown-Eyssen G, Josse RG, Silverberg J, Booth GL, Vidgen E, Josse AR, Nguyen TH, Corrigan S, Banach MS, Ares S, Mitchell S, Emam A, Augustin LS, Parker TL, Leiter LA. Effect of a low-glycemic index or a high-cereal fiber diet on type 2 diabetes: a randomized trial. JAMA. 2008 Dec 17;300(23):2742-53.
- Jenkins, DJA. Nguyen TH, Kendall CW, Faulkner DA, Bashyam B, Kim IJ, Ireland C, Patel D, Vidgen E, Josse AR, Sesso HD, Burton-Freeman B, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Singer W. The effect of strawberries in a cholesterol-lowering dietary portfolio. Metabolism. 2008 Dec;57(12):1636-44.
- Jenkins, DJA. Hu FB, Tapsell LC, Josse AR, Kendall CW. Possible benefit of nuts in type 2 diabetes. J Nutr. 2008 Sep;138(9):1752S-1756S.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Josse AR, Nguyen TH, Faulkner DA, Lapsley KG, Singer W. Effect of almonds on insulin secretion and insulin resistance in nondiabetic hyperlipidemic subjects: a randomized controlled crossover trial. Metabolism. 2008 Jul;57(7):882-7.
- Jenkins, DJA. Josse AR, Dorian P, Burr ML, LaBelle Trangmar R, Kendall CW, Cunnane SC. Heterogeneity in randomized controlled trials of long chain (fish) omega-3 fatty acids in restenosis, secondary prevention and ventricular arrhythmias. J Am Coll Nutr. 2008 Jun;27(3):367-78. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Josse AR, Nguyen TH, Faulkner DA, Lapsley KG, Blumberg J. Almonds reduce biomarkers of lipid peroxidation in older hyperlipidemic subjects. J Nutr. 2008 May;138(5):908-13.
- Jenkins, DJA. Josse AR, Beyene J, Dorian P, Burr ML, LaBelle R, Kendall CW, Cunnane SC. Fish-oil supplementation in patients with implantable cardioverter defibrillators: a meta-analysis. CMAJ. 2008 Jan 15;178(2):157-64. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Josse AR. Fish oil and omega-3 fatty acids. CMAJ. 2008 Jan 15;178(2):150.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Nguyen TH, Marchie A, Faulkner DA, Ireland C, Josse AR, Vidgen E, Trautwein EA, Lapsley KG, Holmes C, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW, Singer W. Effect of plant sterols in combination with other cholesterol-lowering foods. Metabolism. 2008 Jan;57(1):130-9.
- Jenkins, DJA. Josse AR, Wong JM, Nguyen TH, Kendall CW. The portfolio diet for cardiovascular risk reduction. Curr Atheroscler Rep. 2007 Dec;9(6):501-7. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Josse AR, Salvatore S, Brighenti F, Augustin LS, Ellis PR, Vidgen E, Rao AV. Almonds decrease postprandial glycemia, insulinemia, and oxidative damage in healthy individuals. J Nutr. 2006 Dec;136(12):2987-92.
- Jenkins, DJA. Josse AR, Labelle R, Marchie A, Augustin LS, Kendall CW. Nonalcoholic fatty liver, nonalcoholic steatohepatitis, ectopic fat, and the glycemic index. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Jul;84(1):3-4.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Faulkner DA, Nguyen T, Kemp T, Marchie A, Wong JM, de Souza R, Emam A, Vidgen E, Trautwein EA, Lapsley KG, Holmes C, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW, Singer W. Assessment of the longer-term effects of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods in hypercholesterolemia. Am J Clin Nutr. 2006 Mar;83(3):582-91.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW. The garden of Eden: plant-based diets, the genetic drive to store fat and conserve cholesterol, and implications for epidemiology in the 21st century. Epidemiology. 2006 Mar;17(2):128-30.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A. Diet and cholesterol reduction. Ann Intern Med. 2005 May 3;142(9):793-5.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Faulkner DA, Wong JM, de Souza R, Emam A, Parker TL, Vidgen E, Trautwein EA, Lapsley KG, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Singer W, Connelly PW. Direct comparison of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods with a statin in hypercholesterolemic participants. Am J Clin Nutr. 2005 Feb;81(2):380-7.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Hamidi M, Vidgen E, Faulkner D, Parker T, Irani N, Wolever TM, Fong I, Kopplin P, Connelly PW, Onderdonk A, Rao AV. Effect of antibiotics as cholesterol-lowering agents. Metabolism. 2005 Jan;54(1):103-12.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Augustin LS. Too much sugar, too much carbohydrate, or just too much? Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 May;79(5):711-2.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Lapsley KG, Trautwein EA, Parker TL, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW. The effect of combining plant sterols, soy protein, viscous fibers, and almonds in treating hypercholesterolemia. Metabolism. 2003 Nov;52(11):1478-83.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Jenkins AL, Augustin LS, Ludwig DS, Barnard ND, Anderson JW.Type 2 diabetes and the vegetarian diet. Am J Clin Nutr. 2003 Sep;78(3 Suppl):610S-616S. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Jenkins AL, Connelly PW, Jones PJ, Vuksan V.The Garden of Eden--plant based diets, the genetic drive to conserve cholesterol and its implications for heart disease in the 21st century. Comp Biochem Physiol A Mol Integr Physiol. 2003 Sep;136(1):141-51. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Faulkner DA, Wong JM, de Souza R, Emam A, Parker TL, Vidgen E, Lapsley KG, Trautwein EA, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW. Effects of a dietary portfolio of cholesterol-lowering foods vs lovastatin on serum lipids and C-reactive protein. JAMA. 2003 Jul 23;290(4):502-10.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, D'Costa MA, Jackson CJ, Vidgen E, Singer W, Silverman JA, Koumbridis G, Honey J, Rao AV, Fleshner N, Klotz L. Soy consumption and phytoestrogens: effect on serum prostate specific antigen when blood lipids and oxidized low-density lipoprotein are reduced in hyperlipidemic men. J Urol. 2003 Feb;169(2):507-11.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Augustin LS, Vuksan V. High-complex carbohydrate or lente carbohydrate foods? Am J Med. 2002 Dec 30;113 Suppl 9B:30S-37S. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Trautwein EA, Parker TL, Marchie A, Koumbridis G, Lapsley KG, Josse RG, Leiter LA, Connelly PW. A dietary portfolio approach to cholesterol reduction: combined effects of plant sterols, vegetable proteins, and viscous fibers in hypercholesterolemia. Metabolism. 2002 Dec;51(12):1596-604.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Marchie A, Parker TL, Connelly PW, Qian W, Haight JS, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Lapsley KG, Spiller GA. Dose response of almonds on coronary heart disease risk factors: blood lipids, oxidized low-density lipoproteins, lipoprotein(a), homocysteine, and pulmonary nitric oxide: a randomized, controlled, crossover trial. Circulation. 2002 Sep 10;106(11):1327-32.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Augustin LS, Martini MC, Axelsen M, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Parker T, Lau H, Connelly PW, Teitel J, Singer W, Vandenbroucke AC, Leiter LA, Josse RG. Effect of wheat bran on glycemic control and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in type 2 diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2002 Sep;25(9):1522-8.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Jackson CJ, Connelly PW, Parker T, Faulkner D, Vidgen E, Cunnane SC, Leiter LA, Josse RG. Effects of high- and low-isoflavone soyfoods on blood lipids, oxidized LDL, homocysteine, and blood pressure in hyperlipidemic men and women. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Aug;76(2):365-72.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Augustin LS, Franceschi S, Hamidi M, Marchie A, Jenkins AL, Axelsen M. Glycemic index: overview of implications in health and disease. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 Jul;76(1):266S-73S. Review.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Connelly PW, Jackson CJ, Parker T, Faulkner D, Vidgen E. Effects of high- and low-isoflavone (phytoestrogen) soy foods on inflammatory biomarkers and proinflammatory cytokines in middle-aged men and women. Metabolism. 2002 Jul;51(7):919-24.
- Jenkins, DJA. Kendall CW, Vuksan V, Vidgen E, Parker T, Faulkner D, Mehling CC, Garsetti M, Testolin G, Cunnane SC, Ryan MA, Corey PN. Soluble fiber intake at a dose approved by the US Food and Drug Administration for a claim of health benefits: serum lipid risk factors for cardiovascular disease assessed in a randomized controlled crossover trial. Am J Clin Nutr. 2002 May;75(5):834-9.
University of Toronto
FitzGerald Building, Room 340
150 College Street