- ABOUT US
G. Harvey Anderson, Ph.D.
Departments of Nutritional Sciences
- Nutritional Sciences and Physiology
- Director, Program in Food Safety, Nutrition and Regulatory Affairs (PFSNRA)
- B.Sc. Agriculture (University of Alberta);
- M.Sc. Animal Nutrition (University of Alberta);
- Ph.D. Nutritional Sciences (University of Illinois)
- 2010 Awarded the 2010 Faculty of Medicine Graduate Teaching Award for Sustained Contribution to Excellence in Graduate Teaching.
- 2009 Winter Olympics 2010 Torch Carrier, Newmarket, Ontario, Dec 18, 2009. Nominated for contributions to improve health of Canadians
- 2009 Honoured as one of five speakers in the Alumni Scholars’ Lectures, University of Alberta Alumni Reunion; October.
- 2007 Elected Fellow, American Society of Nutrition
- 2002 University of Alberta Alumni Honour Award "Recognizing the significant achievements by University of Alberta Alumni in their local communities and beyond". Cited for role in promoting university, government and industry partnerships to advance the scientific understanding of the role of food in promoting healthy populations
- 2001-2006 Principle Investigator, Bristol Myers Squibb/Mead Johnson Unrestricted “Freedom to Discover” Grant For Nutrition Research. I was recipient of two Bristol Myers Squibb/Mead Johnson Nutritionals Discovery Awards for Nutrition Research (1985-1990 and 2001-2006) in recognition of my research and my administrative and national and international leadership in nutrition. The only Canadian to be so honoured.
- 2000 E.W. Crampton Award for Distinguished Leadership in Nutrition, McGill University
- 1994 Faculty Award, University of Toronto Alumni Association. "For Outstanding Academic Excellence, Service to the University and Contribution to the Community".
- 1992 Filer Lecture, University of Iowa, Faculty of Medicine
- 1985-90 Principle investigator, unrestricted grant award for nutrition research from Bristol-Myers Squibb/Mead Johnson
- 1989 McHenry Award, for leadership in Nutritional Sciences, Canadian Society for Nutritional Sciences.
- 1986 Ministry of Health Scholar, Central Government, People's Republic of China. Held at Sun Yat-sen University of Medical Sciences, Guangzhou.
- 1985 Hollington Award, Best Teacher/Lecturer in the Pre-clinical Years of Medical School, Medical Alumni Association.
- 1978 Borden Award, for Outstanding Research, Nutrition Society of Canada.
- 1966-69 Sigma Xi, Phi Kappa Phi Honorary Society, Hatch Fellowship, University of Illinois (Declined NRC Doctoral Award)
- 1965-66 National Research Council Studentship
- 1963 Ketchum Prize in Animal Science; Douglas Farquar Johnston Bursary.
- 1962 Loveseth Limited Scholarship; Province of Alberta Undergraduate Scholarship.
- Food intake regulation; carbohydrates, sweeteners, appetite and health; proteins, amino acids and food intake; dietary control of peptide hormone and neurotransmitter metabolism. Food composition, dietary status and chronic disease.
I am an active investigator and have held continuous competitive research funding since 1970.
- Tina Akhavan, Ph.D. Candidate
- Pedro Huot, Ph.D. Candidate
- Shirin Panahi, Ph.D. Candidate
- Barkha Patel, Ph.D. Candidate
- Diana Sanchez Hernandez, Ph.D. Candidate
- Clara Cho, Ph.D.
- Student Sascha Hunschede, M.Sc. Candidate
- Shokoufeh Khodabandeh, M.Sc. Candidate
- Abraham Poon, M.Sc. Candidate
- Abigail Yudan Liu, M.Sc. Candidate
- Shirley Vien, Undergraduate Research Project
- Jingzhou Dennis Wang, Undergraduate Research Project
- Natalie Yavorska, Undergraduate Research Project
- Dalia El Khoury, Ph.D., Postdoctoral Fellow
- Maria Fernanda Nunez, M.Sc., Postgraduate Research Fellow, Program in Food Safety, Nutrition and Regulatory Affairs (PFSNRA)
- Christopher Smith, M.Sc., Research Manager Shari Berengut, B.A., B.A.Sc., Research Assistant
- Ruslan Kubant, Ph.D., Technician
A complete history of funding and list of the over 100 past trainees from my group is available
2011-2012 Students and Trainees:
Selected Publications:Papers in refereed journals (2007 – present)
- Samra, R.A., T.M.S. Wolever, and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Enhanced food intake regulatory responses after a glucose drink in hyperinsulinemic men. Int. J. Obes. 31(8):1222-31.
- Samra, R.A. and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Insoluble cereal fibre reduces appetite and short-term food intake and glycemic response to food consumed 75 min later by healthy men. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 86:972–9.
- Bellissimo, N., M.V. Desantadina, P. Pencharz, G.B. Berall, R.C Goode, S.G. Thomas, and G.H. Anderson. 2007. A comparison of short-term appetite and energy intakes in 9-14 year old normal-and over-weight boys following glucose and protein drinks. Int. J. Obesity. 1–10.
- Akhavan, T., and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Effects of the glucose to fructose ratios in solutions on subjective satiety, food intake and satiety hormones in young men. Am. J. Clin Nutr. 86:1354–1363.
- Luhovyy, B.L., T. Akhavan, and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Whey proteins in the regulation of food intake and satiety. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 26(6):704S-712S
- Anderson, G.H. 2007. Much ado about high-fructose corn syrup in beverages: The meat of the matter. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 86:1577-8.
- Bellissimo, N., R.C. Goode, S.G. Thomas, and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Short-duration physical activity and fitness associate with increased subjective appetite and mealtime energy intake in normal weight boys. Appetite. 49(3):644-51.
- Bellissimo, N., P. Pencharz, G.B. Berall, R.C. Goode, S.G. Thomas, and G.H. Anderson. 2007. Effect of mealtime television viewing on food intake after a glucose load. Pediatr. Res. 61: 1-5.
- Major, G.C., J.P. Chaput, M. Ledoux, S. St-Pierre, G.H. Anderson, M.B. Zemel, and A. Tremblay. 2008. Recent developments in calcium-related obesity research. Obesity Rev. 9:428-445.
- Bellissimo, N., S.G. Thomas, R.C. Goode, P.B. Pencharz, and G.H. Anderson. 2008. Reproducibility of short-term food intake and subjective appetite scores after a glucose preload, fitness measures and body composition in boys. J. Applied. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 33(2):326-37
- Szeto, I.M.Y., A. Aziz, P. Das, A.Y. Taha, N. Okubu, S.A. Reza-Lopez, A. Giacca, and G.H. Anderson. 2008. High multivitamin intake by Wistar rats during pregnancy results in increased food intake and components of the metabolic syndrome in male offspring. 2008. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 295:R575–R582.
- Freedland, K.R., G.H. Anderson, and T.M.S. Wolever. 2009. Acute effects of dietary fibre and glycaemic carbohydrate on appetite and food intake in healthy males. Appetite. 52(1):58-64.
- Szeto, I.M.Y., A. Aziz, P. Das, and G.H. Anderson. 2009. Multivitamin supplementation of Wistar rats during pregnancy accelerates the development of obesity in offspring fed an obesogenic diet. Int. J. Obes. (Lond). 33:364-372.
- Hamedani, A., T. Akhavan, R.A. Samra, and G.H. Anderson. 2009. Reduced energy intake at breakfast is not compensated for at lunch if a high insoluble fibre cereal replaces a low fibre cereal. Am J Clin Nutr. 89:1343-1349.
- Reza-López S.A., G.H. Anderson, I.M.Y. Szeto, A.Y. Taha, and D.W. Ma. 2009. High vitamin intake by Wistar rats during pregnancy alters tissue fatty acid concentration in the offspring fed an obesogenic diet. Metabolism. 58:722-730.
- Bozinovski, N.C., N. Bellissimo, S.G. Thomas, P.B. Pencharz, R.C. Goode, and G.H. Anderson. 2009. The effect of short duration exercise at the ventilation threshold on subjective appetite and short-term food intake in 9 to 14 year old boys and girls. Int. J. Beh. Nutr. Phys. Act. 6:66.
- Wong, C.L., R.C. Mollard, T.A. Zafar, B.L. Luhovyy, and G.H. Anderson. 2009. Food intake and satiety following a serving of pulses in young men: effect of processing, recipe, and pulse variety. J. Am. Coll. Nutr. 28(5):543–552.
- Akhavan, T., B.L. Luhovyy, P.H. Brown, C.E. Cho, and G.H. Anderson. 2010. Effect of pre-meal consumption of whey protein and its hydrolysate on food intake and post-meal glycemia and insulin responses in young adults. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 91(4):966-975.
- Anderson, G.H., C.E. Cho, T. Akhavan, R.C. Mollard, B.L. Luhovyy, and E.T. Finocchiaro. 2010. Relation between estimates of cornstarch digestibility by the Englyst in vitro method and glycemic response, subjective appetite and short-term food intake in young men. Am. J. Clin. Nutr. 91(4):932-939.
- He, M., E. Li, S. Harris, M. Huff, C.Y. Yau, and G.H. Anderson. 2010. Canadian global village reality: anthropometric surrogate cut-offs and metabolic abnormalities among Canadians of East Asian, South-Asian and European descent. Can. Fam. Physician. 56(5):e174-82.
- Szeto, I.M.Y., M.E. Payne, A. Jahan-mihan, J. Duan, and G.H. Anderson. 2010. Multi-vitamin supplementation during pregnancy alters body weight and macronutrient selection in Wistar rat offspring. J. Dev. Origins. Health. Dis. 1(6):386-395.
- Johnson, G.H. and G.H. Anderson. 2010. Snacking definitions: impact on interpretation of the literature and dietary recommendations. Crit. Rev. Food Sci. Nutr. 50(9):848-871.
- Akhavan, T., B.L. Luhovyy, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Effect of drinking compared with eating sugars or whey protein on short-term appetite and food intake. Int. J. Obes. (Lond). 35(4):562-569.
- Jahan-mihan, A., C.E. Smith, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Soy protein- and casein-based weaning diets differ in effects on food intake and blood glucose regulation in male Wistar rats. Nutr. Res. 31(3):237-245.
- Jahan-mihan, A., C.E. Smith, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Effect of protein source in diets fed during gestation and lactation on food intake regulation in male offspring of Wistar rats. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol. 300(5):R1175-1184.
- Jahan-mihan, A., B.L. Luhovyy, D. El Khoury, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Dietary proteins as determinants of metabolic and physiologic functions of the gastrointestinal tract. Nutrients. 3(5):574-603.
- Sun, S.Z., G.H. Anderson, B.D. Flickinger, P.S. Williamson-Highes, and M.W. Empie. 2011. Fructose and non-fructose sugar intakes in the US population and their associations with indicators of metabolic syndrome. Food Chem. Toxicol. 49(11):2875-2882.
- Jahan-mihan, A., I.M.Y. Szeto, B.L. Luhovyy, P.S.P. Huot, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Soya protein- and casein-based nutritionally complete diets fed during gestation and lactation differ in effects on characteristics of the metabolic syndrome in male offspring of Wistar rats. Br. J. Nutr. 29:1-11.
- Jahan-mihan, A., C.E. Smith, A. Hamedani and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Soy protein based compared with casein-based diets fed during pregnancy and lactation increase food intake and characteristics of metabolic syndrome less in female than male rat offspring. Nutr. Res. 31(8):644-651.
- Mollard, R.C., C.L. Wong, B.L. Luhovyy, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. First and second meal effects of pulses on blood glucose, appetite and food intake at a later meal. Appl. Physiol. Nutr. Metab. 36(5):634-642.
- Mollard, R.C., A. Zykus, B.L. Luhovyy, M.F. Nunez, C.L. Wong, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. The acute effects of a pulse-containing meal on glycaemic responses and measures of satiety and satiation within and at a later meal. Br. J. Nutr. 7:1-9.
- Patel, B.P., N. Bellissimo, S.G. Thomas, J.K. Hamilton, and G.H. Anderson. 2011. Television viewing at mealtime reduces caloric compensation in peri-pubertal, but not post-pubertal girls. Pediatr. Res. 70(5):513-517.
- El Khoury, D., C. Cuda, B.L. Luhovyy, and G.H. Anderson. 2012. Beta Glucan: Health Benefits in Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome. J. Nutr. Metab. 28 pages.
- Aziz, A., and Anderson, G.H. (2007) The effects of dairy components on food intake and satiety In: Functional Dairy Products Volume 2. Ed: Maria Saarela. Woodhead Publishing Limited and CRC Press LLC, Boca Raton, FL. pp. 19-45.
- Anderson, G. H, T. Akhavan and R. Mendelson. 2006. Food Ingredients Implicated in Obesity: Sugars and Sweeteners. In: Novel Food Ingredients. Ed: Jeya Henry. Woodhead Publishing Limited. Cambridge, UK. pp. 104-127.
- Akhavan, T., Panahi, S., Anderson, G.H., and B.L. Luhovyy. 2009. Dairy-derived ingredients: their application in food intake and metabolic regulation. In: Dairy-derived ingredients: food and nutraceutical uses. Ed: Milena Corridig. Woodhead Publishing. pp. 212-237.
- Anderson, G. H. and C. Wong. 2010. Dietary patterns, food composition and chronic disease. Clin Invest Arterioscl. 2010; 22(Supl 2):6-9. (16.º SIMPOSIO CIENTÍFICO ALIMENTACIÓN, LÍPIDOS Y ATEROSCLEROSIS, Madrid)
- Anderson, G.H., Luhovyy, B.L., Panahi, S., Akhavan, T. Milk Proteins in the Regulation of Bodyweight, Satiety, Food Intake and Glycemia Clemens RA, Hernell O, Michaelsen KF (eds): Milk and Milk Products in Human Nutrition. Nestlé Nutr Inst Workshop Ser Pediatr Program, Nestec Ltd., Vevey/S. Karger AG, Basel, 2011, Vol. 67, p. 147–159.
- Commentary: Overnutrition of Vitamins during Pregnancy: A Risk Factor for Developing Obesity and Metabolic Syndrome in Wistar Rat Offspring. Ignatius M.Y. Szeto and G. Harvey Anderson. International Atherosclerosis Society home page. www.athero.org, Dec 10, 2008.
Wong, C and G. H Anderson. A Critical Analysis of the Science on Plant Sterols and Cholesterol-Lowering: An Evidence-based Review. PFSNRA Report to Health Canada, September 2008. Pp 309
Department of Nutritional Sciences
Faculty of Medicine
University of Toronto
150 College Street, Room 322
Toronto, ON, Canada