Welcome, 2006 Grads
SOG Welcomes New Members
June is convocation month and this year over 70 students will leave HPME with the knowledge, skills and networks they need to take up leadership positions in hospitals, community, universities, government and industry across Canada.
The Society of Graduates (SOG) offers opportunities for alumni to continue to build knowledge and skills, to keep in touch with the latest health research, and most of all, to stay connected.
We hope our new alumni members will benefit from the Society's many services and activities:
- Electronic newsletter to keep you up to date on alumni news, events and recent health services research and publications, published 3 times a year;
- Educational and networking events, including the annual Education Day (May) and joint professional education event with the Canadian Council of Health Service Executives (January);
- SOG Leadership and Literary Awards presented at the Annual Recognition Dinner (October); and
- Honouring our 25 year graduating class at our Annual Recognition Dinner.
Keep in touch by checking the alumni website.
All SOG members are advised to update any changes in their contact info on the alumni website. Congratulations and welcome to the graduating classes of 2006!
Student Achievements Recognized at HPME Research Day
The following HPME students were recognized at the 2006 HPME Research Day in May for academic excellence and leadership:
- Glen Randall (PhD) - Thomas and Edna Naylor Memorial Award
Best MSc/PhD thesis in Health Services Research
- Cian O'Kelly (MSc) - Claire Bombardier Award
Most promising student in Clinical Epidemiology
- Famida Jiwa (MHSc) - Robert Duff Barron Graduate Scholarship
Academic excellence and leadership in the area of public health policy
- Beate Sander (PhD) - Ted Goldberg Award
Most promising PhD student
- Magdalyn Bruneau (MHSc) - Harold Livergant Award
Excellence and promise in long term care management
Research Day faculty award winners and student poster awards winners are posted on the HPME website.
Congratulations to all of this year's award winners!
SOG Co-Sponsors 2nd Annual HPME Student Research Conference
On Wednesday May 3, 2006 the HPME Graduate Student Union held its second annual HPME Student Research Conference, as a pre-event to the annual department Research Day. The conference, entitled LHINS: From Rhetoric to Reality, was an opportunity to showcase student research and provide a forum for students, faculty, alumni and guests to exchange ideas.
The day opened with a selection of dynamic student oral presentation sessions on the broad topics of community and collaborative care, rethinking complex and tertiary care, and calculating the cost of care. The student presentations were followed by a lively panel discussion moderated by our Department Chair, Dr. Louise Lemieux-Charles. The esteemed panel of experts included: John Ronson (Courtyard Group), Dr. Alan Hudson (MOHLTC), Liz McIntyre (Cavalluzzo Hayes Shilton McIntyre & Cornish, representing the ONA), Pat Conrad (CHSRF), and Paul Holyoke (HPME/Waterloo-Wellington LHIN).
The SOG is pleased to co-sponsor this event, along with the University of Toronto Graduate Student Union and HPME.