This course is no longer taught!
Current course information can be found here
Create E-Commerce Websites with Drupal
Should you take this course?
- If you want to learn to use Drupal, the leading Open Source Content Management System (CMS), then yes, take this course.
- If you want to know how to set up an E-Commerce website and process sales orders using PayPal, then yes, take this course.
- Yes, if you need to know how to work with the Apache Httpd Webserver and/or the Microsoft IIS Webserver to serve your website.
- If you need to be able to work successfully with the MySQL database, or any SQL database, then yes, take this course.
- Yes, if you can attend the course two evenings a week for 12 weeks.
Install and Administer the Required Software
Prerequisites: Basic knowledge of Windows or Linux/Unix. Knowledge of the filesystem and folders. Knowledge of the command line would also be an asset.
This module will teach students how to install the required software in either Windows or Linux/Unix/Mac OS.
- Installing MySQL and PHP under Windows
- Installing MySQL and PHP under Linux/Unix
- Installing PHP with Microsoft IIS Webserver
- Installing Apache Httpd Webserver with PHP
- Installing Drupal
- Running the Microsoft IIS Webserver
- Running the Apache Httpd Webserver
- Running the MySQL database
- Performing ad hoc database backups with mysqldump
- Setting up automated back ups in Windows with a batch file and Scheduled Tasks
- Setting up automated back ups in Linux/Unix with a script and cron
Prerequisite: Familiarity with the Word Wide Web.
This modules will teach students the basics of creating online content using the basic unit of information, the node, which can be assigned a content type, and broken down into fields. Meanwhile, taxonomies allow authors to label and organize their nodes for searching.
- Working with Nodes
- Working with Content Types
- Working with Fields
- Working with Images
- Organizing Content with Taxonomy
- Working with Blocks (content in regions)
- Creating Structured Documents
- Managing Users
E-Commerce with Ubercart and PayPal Part 1
Prerequisites: Familiarity with basic content management using Drupal.
Students will learn to create an E-Commerce website using one of the leading E-Commerce modules for Drupal.
- Installing Ubercart in Drupal
- Setting up a Product Catalogue
- Setting up Products
- Stock Tracking
- Product Downloads, Promotions, etc
E-Commerce with Ubercart and PayPal Part 2
Prerequisites: Familiarity with basic content management using Drupal and setting up a storefront using Ubercart.
Students will learn to create an E-Commerce website using one of the leading electronic payment providers, PayPal. The principles we learn using PayPal can be applied to any other electronic payment provider as they all use the same basic techniques.
- Principles of Electronic Payments
- Setting up a Paypal Developer Account
- Setting up a Real Paypal Account
- Checkout with Ubercart and PayPal
- Payment with Ubercart and PayPal
- Work flow for Order Processing with Ubercart
- Shipping and Fulfilment
- Sales, Product, and Customer Reports
- Managing a PayPal Account Month-by-Month
|Create E-Commerce Websites with Drupal||12 weeks||TBA||TBA||2,595|
|Install and Administer the Required Software||2 sessions||TBA||TBA|
|Content Management||10 sessions||TBA||TBA|
|E-Commerce with Ubercart and PayPal Part 1||6 sessions||TBA||TBA|
|E-Commerce with Ubercart and PayPal Part 2||6 sessions||TBA||TBA|
- Our courses are held at the University of Toronto, St. George campus (downtown Toronto)
- This is an evenings only course, held twice per week, Mondays and Wednesdays, from 6 pm to 9 pm.
- Monday evenings are lectures. Wednesday evenings are supervised lab practice.
- Students will be able to access their work remotely at any time.
Prerequisites are guidelines, only. Ideally you should have similar knowledge to the prerequisites specified.
All of our courses are open to anyone. Our courses are not part of any academic program at the University of Toronto. Our courses are administered by the University of Toronto.
Seats are limited. Course registration is on a first-come, first-served basis.
The cost of this course is $2,595.
Fees cover all materials and resources for the course. There are no additional charges.
To withdraw from the course with a full refund, you must withdraw before the end of the first lecture.
For later withdrawals a refund will be assessed on a pro-rated basis. Materials already provided are not returnable for credit.
Fees are tax deductible, a Tuition and Education Amounts Certificate will be issued after successful completion of this course.
This course DOES NOT qualify for OSAP.
Employment Insurance recipients should contact an Employment Ontario counsellor regarding possible funding, before applying to any of our courses.
Course fees, dates, topics, and durations may change.
Course content and policies are continuously under review and may also change.
There is a maximum number of places available in this course. When the maximum enrollment is reached, new registrations will be placed on a waiting list.
There is a minimum number of places available in this course. If the minimum is not reached by the starting date, the course will be re-scheduled or cancelled. Fees paid will be refunded in full if you decide not to take a re-scheduled course.
This page will always be the most up to date description of the course.
Product names or company names are used for identification purposes only, and may be trademarks of their respective owners.