Grant Application Procedure
Call For Proposals
Frequently Asked Questions
Conditions and Requirements for Grant Applicants
The Banting Research Foundation awards grants of up to $20,000 in all areas of medical research to outstanding new investigators at universities and research institutes in Canada who are within the first three years of their first independent appointment. The intent is to provide seed funding so that applicants are able to gather pilot data to enhance their competitiveness for other sources of funding.
- The competition is open to new investigators at a Canadian university or research institute who will be within the first three years of their first academic appointment at the time of the grant application deadline of March 15, 2013.
- Applicants may not hold more than $40,000 in external operating funds to apply for the maximum $20,000 grant. Smaller amounts may be applied for if the applicant holds more than $40,000 in operating funds, as long as the total external operating funds held by the applicant, including the Banting Research Foundation grant if awarded, do not exceed $60,000. Operating funds are defined as funds that can be used to cover research-related costs to carry out a research project and does not include start-up, equipment or infrastructure funds.
- Applicants may not hold more than $100,000 in start-up funding from their institution (excluding CFI funding).
- The maximum duration of the grant is one year, from July 1 to June 30. Extensions may be considered and must be requested in writing at least 30 days prior to the grant end date.
- Grants are paid quarterly within the funding year, starting July 1.
- Grants are paid to the comptroller of the sponsoring institution. Grantees may draw on this account as needed.
- Funds can be used to purchase equipment and for general operating expenses specified in the budget proposal, including salaries for technicians, postdoctoral fellows and students.
- Funds may not be used to pay the salary of the applicant, overhead, or travel expenses.
- Equipment purchased with grant funds is the property of the institution at which the grant is held.
- Any unexpended funds are to be returned to The Foundation.
Ethical and safety considerations
- Applicants are expected to ensure the proposed research complies with ethics and safety guidelines of their home institution.
- Human research procedures must comply with the "Tri-Council Policy Statement: Ethical Conduct for Research Involving Humans."
- Animal experimental procedures must comply with guidelines of the Canadian Council on Animal Care.
- Procedures for handling biological and chemical hazards must meet CIHR "Guidelines for the Handling of Recombinant DNA Molecules and Animal Viruses and Cells."
- Applications must be received by the deadline date of March 15, 2013. Receipt of applications will be acknowledged by email within one week.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Grant Review Panel in May.
- Final approval will be made by the Board of Trustees in June.
- Applicants will be notified of funding decisions in July.
- The grantee shall submit to The Foundation a brief report of the work performed within two months of the grant end date (June 30).
- Within two months of the grant end date, an accounting statement must be submitted by the comptroller to The Foundation.
- Any publication or abstract resulting from the work supported by a grant from The Foundation should contain the following acknowledgement:
"This work was supported by a grant from The Banting Research Foundation."
- One copy of any publication or abstract must be forwarded to The Foundation.
- Complete the application and convert and submit as a PDF.
- To properly identify your application, use this naming convention: LastnameFirstname_BRFApplication_2013.pdf
- Attachments may be included with application document or compiled into a single document and named LastnameFirstname_attachments.pdf
- Email the application and attachments to:
banting.foundation [at] utoronto.ca
- Mail or courier the original signed application to:
The Banting Research Foundation
6 Queen's Park Crescent West, Suite 10
Toronto ON M5S 3H2
- Application deadline is March 15, 2013. The hard copy must be postmarked or courier date stamped no later than March 15. Emailed documents must be received no later than March 15.
If you have any questions please first check our FAQ page. If your question is not answered there, please contact Ramona Rea at The Banting Research Foundation at 416-595-9046, or email banting.foundation [at] utoronto.ca
This page is available as a PDF.